Category Archives: mod podge

Dark and Stormy Night Canvas

Standard
Dark and Stormy Night Canvas

20150913_193423

I really need to remember to take more photos of my process- sorry:

This first one is when I am already almost done with the canvas. I started with a stenciled base using heavy modeling paste. One of those big stencils you get at Michaels.

I then painted it with some Josonjas acrylic -rose madder and a teal color (can’t remember what brand)- I did a lot of pastels in greens, pinks and yellows and then sprayed some workable fixative over it before my next step.

Following all that, I attached some crocheted lace pieces with some mod-podge-which I painted over with acrylic inks and rubbed over it with dark glitters. I also affixed some green cord with more modeling paste and covered that with glitter as well. I also rubbed the areas around the lace with some dark colored pastels followed by more workable fixative. Some various ink drips here and there and voila!

This piece just seems very dark and brooding- I prolly was fighting with my ex at that point. I wish you could feel it, it is so full of texture!

Thanks for playing folks!

20150917_083724

Advertisements

Texture Time

Standard

I know, I know, I am a total blog slacker. I am just waayy too lazy!
But, hopefully this piece was worth the wait. I did something I haven’t done before on a canvas- mixed modeling paste with dimensional elements.
Another thing I need to do is take pictures of my process, but it is what it is today…:( I can tell you I started by mod podging some dress pattern paper to the canvas  and cover it with various coats of acrylic paint before using course modeling paste to attach different elements, such as, cardboard buttons and butterflies, hard acrylic letters and numbers, Jolees shutter elements, and a red glitter branch .In addition I used a Michelle Ward stencil an embossing pad along with Tim Holtz Distress powder to add even more texture and dimension.

Once the paste dried I spread a liberal amount of green glitter glue in various places, followed by burnt umber acrylic ink and glimmer mists. For the finishing touch around the edges, Amsterdam acrylic paint in greenish blue. All paint , paste, ink and glitter glue was applied with my fingers. My favorite tools!
I am super happy with the results, and my favorite art is just running my hands over it to feel all the textural happenings!
image

image

More Assorted Pages

Standard

All of these pages are done in my Dyan Reavely art journal( which is awesome!).

image

image

image

image

Comic Christmas Project 2012

Standard

So I had this post almost done and then I deleted the whole thing, so I’m pretty much screaming right now.
So to start over—- this is a project I did for a very handsome friend of mine who wanted me to make a special project for his 8 year old son for Christmas. he gave me 15 sequential comic book covers and he wanted me to somehow find a way to hang them on his son’s bedroom walls. Challenge accepted!
I’ve never done anything like this before but why should I let that stop me ?
After thinking about it a bit I decidedto get some foam board and spray paint it in colors to match the colors on the comic book covers. You might be able to see the drips ,well that was a mistake but I decided to just go with it!
That was quite a comic experience in itself .My daughter and I are outside trying to start spray paint these boards mounted on top of a skateboard , on a ladder in the blowing cold wind.(um..the boards, not my daughter and I-LOL) Nuff said.
So when that was dry I use Mod Podge to glue the covers on and after a couple coats on top and letting it dry I cut the boards down to more or less the same size. ( by the way it’s a good thing I was doing this instead of my handsome friend because he’s not good with sharp objects. He has been known to staple his own finger!) It wasn’t possible to line everything up perfectly but  after all my motto has always been” Good enough is good enough”!
All that’s left now is to attach them to the walls. Aforementioned handsome friend is also a well known procrastinator so this took literally weeks. But they are up now and I think they look awesome! What do you think ?

image

image

image

image

image

image

Handmade Coasters- Homeschool Art Class Project

Standard

I found a stack of blank cardboard coasters I bought a long time ago and just never did anything with- so I thought they might make a good project for my art class.  This was so simple and I think they turned out awesome!

I started with a layer of paint(it’s better if it looks kind of rough and uneven)- dried that then grabbed a stencil and sponged another paint color on top. Then pick a 3rd paint color and give it a light go over-I rubbed off some of it with a paper towel so it would look more aged and rough. Then just follow up with several coats of  mod podge glossy acrylic spray on sealer. You can see on the blue coaster I outlined the stencil pattern with white pen to make it pop. Also on both coasters I painted a little of my stencil color around the edges.

I haven’t actually put a glass on it yet, so I can’t tell you how well they actually work-but they look good!